Department of History
Prof. B. K. Shrivastava
The Department of History was established in1946, since the inception of the University. In the initial stages, for four years, the department conducted only intermediate and B.A. Classes under the headship of Dr. H.L. Gupta, Senior Lecturer and Head of the Department. Prof. R.P. Tripathi, Vice Chancellor of Sagar University, was Honorary Professor of the Department. He took initiative to start P.G. Classes in the Department. Prof. B. N. Sharma of this Department was appointed the Vice Chancellor of Bhopal University. Three Professors of this Department Prof. H.L. Gupta, Prof. B.N. Sharma and Prof. B.B. Shrivastva served as the Dean of Social Science Faculty. Presently Prof. B.K. Shrivastava is the Head of the department.
Prof. H. L.GUPTA
Dr. G. S. TRIPATHI
Prof. BAIZNATH SHARMA
Dr. D. B. TRIVEDI
SHRI SRIDHAR MISHRA
1996 (ACTING HEAD)
2001 (ACTING HEAD)
Prof. B.B. SHRIVASTAVA
Dr. ( Mrs.) ABHA NAWANI
Prof. ASHOK AHIRWAR
The History Department aims to make the students aware of the past and its legacies through teaching, research and extension activities in Indian History in the context of world. We believe that only a critical understanding of the past will enable the students to understand the present and help them to look towards the future.
- Transform the students into citizens who are critically informed about the past and its consequences for the present.
- Promote studies in History, Society and culture of India and Madhya Pradesh in general and history of Bundelkhand in particular.
- Providing unique learning experience for the students through exploring History of Bundelkhand and Madhya Pradesh in its regional and national context.
- Empower the students to cope with the challenges of globalization by instilling in them a life-long passion for learning about the past. The knowledge about the interconnections between the global, national, regional and local history will equip the students to face the challenges with confidence.
The department has grown very popular over the years as there is regular increment in the allotted seats to the Programmes of UG and PG. Even then there is constant surplus of the students as can be gauged from the data of 2021. This is in line with the placement of the students as number of them has cracked the competitive Examination. The faculties are also acting as external Subject Experts in Board of studies / RDC Experts of different universities. The faculties of the department are actively involved in conducting the courses and National & International Seminars and Faculty Development Program like Refresher Course and Short Term Course through HRDC.
Uniqueness of Department:
The faculties of the department are well versed in other discipline as some of them have their graduation or post graduation from Science, Engineering and Management stream. This multidisciplinary approach is very helpful in disseminating the knowledge among its stake holders. This approach is also reflected in the Research work. Some of the Faculties of the department are the Alumna of this University. The faculties of the department have also been honored for their work.
Contributions of the Faculties
Some of our Faculty members are continuously engaged in – .
- Delivering lectures in other Departments, HRDC, Remedial centre
- Organizing seminars and workshops.
- Delivering lectures as resource person in Refresher/Orientation Course/ Seminars/ Webinars.
The Department of history caters the needs of approximately 400 UG and around 74 PG students. It is ensured by the faculty to implement pedagogic methods effectively, in order to meet the level of understanding of students, who are from diverse educational background. The strength of our department lies in its faculty who are well qualified and are constantly engaged in academic pursuit and simultaneously endeavors to upgrade the students with latest information and knowledge in the discipline. The faculty members motivate its students to participate in various extracurricular activities for all round development.
If any department has strength, it has some fault lines too. The Department has insufficient infrastructure, which many times hampers effective deliverance of basic amenities to the students as well as staff members. There is scarcity of funds, which is another hindrance in the growth and development of the department.
The Department provides opportunity of academic enhancement to its staff and students. The students get exposure to various aides of learning through the faculty. They are also guided and counselled by the career counselling, so that students can explore future placement opportunity. The faculty and office staff are encouraged and motivated to attend professional development course and are guided time to time for their career advancement opportunity.
The Department has a mission to provide higher education, to those who are predominantly from rural background; simultaneously it is a challenge to disseminate knowledge and information which is based on the state of the art. To raise the infrastructural standards of the department in meagre resources is a biggest challenge.
- Understanding of the past through a complex process of critical dialogue with historians and historical sources.
- Mutual trust and respect among historians
- Belief in honoring the integrity of the historical record
- The pursuit of scholarship in regional and National History.
- To incorporate Medieval Indian History in our curriculum.
- To facilitate e-classes as per the part of digital India campaign.
- We plan to start lectures under smart-Class campaign.
- To conduct Student-Faculty Interaction Programmes.
- To organize Invited & Alumni Lecture