Head of the Department: Prof. Nivedita Maitra
Contact No: +91-7582-265806,
Mob. : 9977304921
Introduction of the Department
The Department of Urdu & Persian was started soon after the inception of the university in July 1946 to provide education in Urdu & Persian. In the beginning Shri B.L. Pathak, M.O.L. was appointed as Lecturer on part-time basis. After that Shri V.B. Amar joined the department as a part-time lecturer in 1960.
Dr. M.S. Siddiqui was appointed as full-time Assistant Professor and Head of the department in 1965. He became Reader in 1981 and retired from the services of the University in 1986. After his retirement from the University service Dr. M.S. Siddiqui worked as honorary Head of the Department up to September 1990.
Dr. Hajra Khatoon Siddiqui was appointed as lecturer in September 1990 and retired in April 1995. Even after the superannuation from the university she continued teaching on contractual basis up to 1998. She was M.A. and Ph. D. in Urdu. Her Ph. D. Work on Allama Rashid-Ul-Khairee earned her a lot of name and popularity.
Along with Dr. Hajra Khatoon Siddiqui, Dr. Fida-Ul-Mustafa too joined the department in September 1990 as lecturer and Head of department. He became Reader (Associate Professor) in 2000. After that in 2008 he became Professor. He retired in April 2017.
Prof. Nivedita Maitra is the Honorary Head (Incharge) of the Department of Urdu and Persian after the retirement of Prof. Fida Ul Mustafa. (2017 to present).
In the year 2013 the department was expanded by the appointment of 04 new Assistant Professors are as under-
- Waseem Anwar
- Abu Shaheem Khan
- Md. Safwan Safwi
- Md. Afzal Hussai
Vision & Mission
- Preservation and promotion of Human and aesthetic values amidst Consumerism and Materialism through Urdu Culture, Language &, Literature.
- To make the Urdu Language more popular among masses and find out the ways and means for the development of Urdu Language at Grass Root Level
- To make Urdu language more JOB oriented by introducing new courses in the field of journalism Mass Communications and other relevant areas.
Uniqueness of the Department:
- The Department of Urdu and Persian is one of the oldest departments of India.
- It is the only department in the University of Madhya Pradesh.